Peppers and Pasta Alfredo
- ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp DLS* or ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups half and half cream (10% m.f.)
- 2/3 Parmesan cheese, grated
Peppers and Pasta:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ each yellowred, green peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup slivered ham or cooked bacon
- 4 cups cooked pasta of your choice **
To make Alfredo Sauce, sauté the onion and garlic in butter, until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the flour and seasoning. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Add the parmesan and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
Sauté peppers, onions and celery in the 2 Tbsp butter until tender crisp. Add ham or bacon and heat until warmed.
Add the warm Alfredo Sauce to the vegetable mixture, reheat, then stir your favorite cooked pasta into the sauce. Let the pasta absorb the sauce flavors for a few minutes before serving.
- The usual recommended pasta serving is 1 lb. (500g) for 4 people – maybe more for fishermen and hunters.
*DLS = Dymond Lake Seasoning. This unique spice blend is a poorly kept family secret crafted and sold by Doug and Helen Webber, grandparents of blog contributors Karli, Jayne and Becca.
** We use fettuccine, linguine, medium egg noodles or a rice pasta.
CREDIT: This recipe is from the bestselling cookbook Blueberries & Polar Bears by Helen Webber and Marie Woolsey.